Monday
We started the week well with this simple breakfast idea - avocado and tomato on garlic and herb bruschetta with herbed olive oil and dukkah. Found the already flavoured garlic and herb bruschetta bread in the supermarket (it's also nice toasted and dipped in soup!).
Dinner Monday night was this gem I found in the January Recipes+ magazine - Subs. They had about five different varieties in the Mag. I went with the American Subs - chicken snags, shaved parmesan, cos lettuce, Caesar salad dressing and bacon pieces, and the Greek Subs - lamb sausages (although I had to use beef as I couldn't any lamb ones in any of the supermarkets I went to), fetta cheese, tomatoes, diced olives and store bought Tzatziki dip. Simply lay out all the ingredients and use those heat-in-the-oven dinner rolls - so easy. I think this one would be a great one to serve up to crowds for a BBQ as well. You could even make up your own - eg, Aussie one with Kanga Bangas, beetroot relish, rocket and cheddar cheese, Tropical ones with beef snags, pineapple, lettuce, tomato, BBQ sauce.
Tuesday
During the day on Tuesday I made some raspberry iced tea. It's really easy to make. Brew some tea up in a tea pot (I used a raspberry tea), then fill some heat proof glasses with sliced fruit and some ice (I used oranges and lemons), then fill up the glasses with the hot tea. The ice instantly cools the tea down. These Bodeum double-walled glasses are ideal for iced tea as they are handle both the heat and the cold. Next time I do the iced tea though, I am going to add a bit of sugar syrup to sweeten it up a bit!
Dinner Tuesday night was this Zucchini Slice from the new Donna Hay - the New Classics cook book, it's really easy to cook. I found I had to cook it a little longer though - and put the oven on fan-forced to add a bit of colour to the top. I served with veggies - would be better with salad (except I ran out of salad ingredients).
I have been letting the girls pick recipes out of the Summer Treats book which Eliza got from the Scholastics Book Club. Last week we made some delicious Raspberry Swirl Yoghurt Pops, this week it was Jasmin's turn and she picked the Orange Summer Snow with Chocolate Icecream. We kind of cheated though. We made the orange Granita (essentially sugar syrup and juice 200ml and 500ml respectively) frozen overnight, but we just used store bought chocolate ice-cream as we had some in the freezer.
It was delicious. We served the granita up in hollowed out oranges which we had also frozen in the freezer to keep fresh and also to harden so they could be used as bowls. We decorated with Jaffa's to finish it off.
On Wednesday Julie and Les decided to visit with Bai and Darien (the girls second cousins). Of all the places to play they decided to camp out on our bed with their iPads. Julie and I walked down to the shops and bought stuff for an impromptu BBQ. So today's lunch was a simple BBQ of marinated chicken (hoi-sin sauce, ginger, soy, brown sugar and five spice powder), wombok salad (everyone's favourite - recipe just off the Chang's fried noodle packet), tossed salad with mango vinaigrette, pineapple and rolls. Dinner that night was left overs!
We started the day with a yummy Mango and Strawberry Smoothie for breakfast. For this one I used 1+1/2 cups of low fat milk, 1/2 cup of vanilla yoghurt, flesh of a mango, four strawberries and a touch of honey. Just simply throw all the ingredients in a blender for a minute. There was enough for four glasses.
Dave decided that he would have a fasting day today - a day when he only has 600 calories for the day - which is fine, but I hadn't really planned any low-cal meals for this week (thinking that he needed to put a bit of weight on and get back above the 85kg mark - he looks too gaunt at 80-81 kg). So after having a looksee at what meat I had in the freezer I decided on a fish tagine. Fish is incredibly low in calories! I found this fish tagine recipe on taste.com.au.
Friday
LOL - nothing to see here - move along..... Friday is actually family movie night, it's the only night that I normally don't cook and we get take-out, which is normally Pizza. Both Eliza and Jazz had friends (both boys and brothers the same age as they are) over for movie night this week.
Saturday
Saturday afternoon we had friends for afternoon tea - so I thought I'd give the Adriano Zumbo Salted Caramel Macaroons a try. After a failed first batch - the second batch turned out - only cooked them for 10 minutes instead of the 13 minutes it said on the packet, and then put them lower in the oven. Now I've had a go at making the packet version, I will challenge myself to make them from scratch this year.
Summer Bolognese was on the menu Saturday Night. A lighter version of the normal Bolognese with white wine instead of red wine - minus the peeled tomatoes and pasta sauce, and served like a deconstructed Bolognese. I found this one in the Donna Hay - the New Classics cookbook. You can also find the recipe on Donna Hay's website here.
Sunday
Since it is the school holidays tonight we are eating out. It is actually Eliza's big day out (more about that later). It was her turn to pick where she wanted to eat, so we are eating at the Sushi Train restaurant on the outside of Belconnen Mall - Sushi Bay. This will be followed by Cold Rock.
Happy Eating
Di :-)










No comments:
Post a Comment