Sunday, February 22, 2015

Italian Week

Today ends Italian week at the Turner household. A pretty easy week food wise, as everyone in the household enjoys Italian food, and it's fairly easy to cook. Most recipes were from Love to Eat - the new Delicious cookbook, there were a couple of other recipes used, which I have mentioned later on.

We started last Sunday night with a Parmesan and cauliflower risotto with hazelnut pangrattato. This dish was meant to be made with Taleggio, but I had plenty of parmesan, so used this instead, The hazelnut pangrattato made for some nice texture on the top of the risotto.



On Monday night we enjoyed Roman Chicken with polenta. Once again, I did some slight substitutions - and used a block of polenta which I made into chips which were baked in the oven. I've made the creamy polenta before, so I just wanted to see what the chips would be like.  This dish was very tasty indeed, and there was enough polenta to serve with Wednesday night's dinner as well.




No Italian week is complete without a pasta dish - so I selected Orecchiette amatriciana, except I made with the bow pasta instead of the orecchiette. A nice simple pasta dish with plenty of flavour.



Wednesday night is swimming night so I put on this Tuscan Pork dish before we went to swimming and baked the pumpkin when we got back.  I loved the crackling on the pork - and the flavour of the fennel, rosemary and lemon on the outside. Although the crew didn't mind this dish, they aren't really fans of pork generally unless it's minced!




Thursday night I went out with some old work colleagues, to a Thai restaurant, and in my absence the rest of the Turner team made mini homemade Hawaiian pizzas.

Friday night we ate out to Sirens in Gungahlin, I had a delicious seafood pasta, Dave had pizza, and Jasmin had Chicken Parmis. The only one who didn't eat Italian was Eliza who opted for some Cajun Chicken.

We had a busy day on Saturday - which included a trip to the fresh fruit and veggies markets at EPIC, the Food and Wine show in Canberra, lunch at Belconnen Mall, a birthday party at Build-a-Bear in Belconnen for Eliza, while Jas and Dave headed off to the new trampolining place in Belconnen Mall. Needless to say I was a bit tired when I returned home, and opted for cooking a nice Minestrone with some of the fresh produce I'd purchased earlier in the day. The recipe was from the Italian Food Safari cookbook. I served it with some crusty italian bread (also purchased from the markets), and followed it up with some Lemon Tiramasu (from Delicious's Love to Cook cookbook). It was delicious!




Today we spent the day picking fruit at Mum and Dad's place, so it was leftovers for dinner tonight - I just had to top up the minestrone with some stock.

We voted for American food next week, mainly on a account of the fact that Jasmin is craving some burger (it's one of her favourites, so I guess if you had to pick a country it was from it would probably be America). After some deliberation we also decided to write all the countries we could think of on little pieces of paper, which have been folded and put into a container - we will draw out a random country from now on.

Off to watch some Black List.
Goodnight
Di :-)






No comments: