Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Australian Food Week which lasted for Two weeks

I thought I would reward myself after doing a very Australian thing (mowing the lawns - or should I say weeds and dirt), by sitting down for a few minutes and writing the rest of a post about eating Australian food on return from Phuket.

We celebrated our return from Phuket by eating some very Australian food for a week, which stretched out for a second week, with some non Australian dishes thrown in for good measure. It could be said however, that a lot of food that we eat in Australia comes from a lot of different cultures.

So we kicked off our return from Phuket with these very Australian dishes - Anzac Cookies, Anzac Cookie Icecream Sandwiches, BBQ Chicken Salad with Passionfruit Dressing and BBQ Sausage Rolls with Red Wine Braised Onions.

 
 

Last week we continued the Australian eating theme with some more Australian dishes including:

 Roast Leg of Lamb with Homemade Mint Sauce and Potato Bake:


Chili Pineapple and Mini Pavs;


And what could be more Australian, than some fresh Australian Grown fruit:



The not so Australian food consumed included Cheese Quesadillas with Pinepple Salsa and Guacamole:



And this Cheat's Paella made from Cous Cous:


While we were away, our little pot of tomatoes started bearing fruit - Eliza has been enjoying wandering out the back door to pick and eat the cherry tomatoes like they were lollies. It's hard to believe that you get so many cherry tomatoes off one little bush!



Having had so much fun cooking food from one nationality for a week, I thought I would continue this idea for the remainder of the year, and cook a different nationality food each week (with a couple of non-themed dishes thrown in so that I can cook stuff from the mags I get!). This week we are having Italian Week in the Turner household, so I'll post after this week with some dishes we have enjoyed.

I leave you this week with this poster I made for Dave for Valentine's Day - the girls and I had a heap of fun shopping for and constructing his present. I can't take credit for the idea though, as I found it on Pinterest!


Di :-)

No comments: