Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Five Random Thoughts

1.  The girls are away this week - back in our home town of Goulburn, where they are living it up with their Aunts, Uncles, Nans and Pops, cousins and second cousins!  The house is deathly quiet with them gone, and both Dave and I miss them incredibly, and can't wait for them to return home. We got to thinking that this is what it will be like when they leave home for good. Not that we don't appreciate the time alone to go out to dinner as a couple, and watch "big people" movies, we will however dearly miss them when they finally do "fly the coop" - and we hope they come home often (perhaps we will change our mind when we have two teenagers in the household, only time will tell).

2.  I think I would like one of these (or something similar):


and one of these:

I think a rice cooker and a deep fryer will come in handy for large dinner parties and functions.  Really want to do a modern asian banquet using recipes from the you-beaut Neil Perry cookbook I have!  I'm sure I could find a shelf to store them on in the garage when they are not in use :0)

3.  Really inspired by the meal we had last night at the Soju Girl in Canberra. It's on Northbourne Avenue in the city.  Dave and I enjoyed it so much that we had four desserts between us. It was very much like having Asian Tapas!  Here is a peak at what we ate:


Betel leaf with smoked trout and coconut chilli dressing
Slow braised beetroot, chinkiang, onion and candle nuts
Grilled cuttlefish with bacon jam and soft herbs
Tumeric and ginger prawns, with house satay
Katsu of Pork, honeycomb house kimchee, and pineapple caramel
Chicken with coconut dressing and an asian salad with Jasmine Rice

for dessert:
2 serves of the Raspberry shortcake, with lychee paste, rosewater mousse, raspberry parfait and meringue (divine!!!!)
Passionfruit Brulee with pineapple salsa and ginger syrup
Chocolate fondant, salted caramel and peanut butter ice-cream

We will definitely have to go again and have some of the other delicious stuff on the menu!

4.  Now I'm really hungry and want to eat something!

5.  Added this to my reading list on Good Reads. It's a debut book by an Australian Author - looks interesting and has received some good reviews so far!








No comments: