Friday, May 04, 2012

April Update

Happenings here at the Turner household


Another event filled month at the Turner Household, I must say.  Always something to look forward to - which is how I like it.  Sometimes hard to fit everything in though!

So what has happened over the last month:

1.  We had a busy  Easter Weekend - first with a visit to Mum and Dad, and a playdate with Chloe - my little niece.  Chloe just loves Eliza and they run around playing. We stayed the night, before heading out to Wyangala Dam on Saturday.





Saturday was a stunning day - great day for water sports, and the last hot day we had (I think!). It was a buzz for the girls to sleep in a tent over night - and we also had a campfire it was so cold. It also happened to be Ant's birthday (our Nephew) so we celebrated with Cake and we gave him his present (which was Batman Superhero Lego LOL! - he loved it)











2.  They had an ANZAC day ceremony at school on the Thursday before school stopped for the holidays.  I was so very proud of Jazz - she joined the school chorus last term, and they had to sing a song at the ceremony - she said it was so nerve racking (I don't think she expected so many people in the Audience - the whole primary and secondary school and special guests). There are only about 30 kids in the chorus.

3.  The girls had school holidays.  The first week was spent at Cartooning Camp - which was at Queanbeyan High School - only about 7 minutes from my work.  They really enjoyed themselves - did some cool cartoon drawings, played games and did other fun activities.  This layout I did for Jazz's album summarised their week (I have also done one for Eli bear with my favourites of her cartoon drawings included):


After an exhausting week, we took the girls back to Goulburn, and they stayed with their Aunty Julie and Uncle Les - who had asked if they could have the girls for a couple of days on the holidays.  They had a sleep-over with Aunty Julie, and caught up with their little cousins, and even went to see Mirror Mirror with their Aunty.  They want to go back next holidays as well!  ANZAC day we took them to Avengers, which they both enjoyed (Jazz went back to see it again a week later!).  The girls only had two days at home to recuperate (while I worked), before they went back to school.

4.  Eliza lost her second tooth - she was most pleased that the tooth fairy had to visit her and left her a gold coin.


5.  A trip over to the south side to visit friends who have moved to Canberra from Adelaide. Had a lovely BBQ and got to meet the kids and some other friends of theirs that also live in Canberra.  It was a lovely evening!

6.  My nephew turned 17 - Yay! He can now go for his drivers license - so Ona and I will have a desginated driver very soon :-)  He is such a good natured gorgeous young man, I feel very proud to be his Aunty!  We had a little birthday celebration at his place the other weekend:


Reading

 Still going strong with the reading. So many good books out there to read, and not enough time! I read a real mix of different books over the last month from the very philisophical "Calculating God" to the raunchy Dark Lover Book (JR Ward really knows how to spice up a book!), to Ernest Cline's brilliant Ready Player One - which was a real nerd trip back to the 80's full of references to old tech, 80's music and movies. I think this was my favourite for the month, and Warner have bought the movie rights for it - so I cannot wait!

26. Calculating God - Robert J Sawyer Books
27. Saga of the Seven Suns Series – Kevin J Anderson - Book #7 – The Ashes of Worlds
28. Fallen Star Series - Book #1 - The Fallen Star - Jessica Sorensen
29. Fallen Star Series - Book #2 – The Underworld
30. Fallen Star Series - Book #3 – The Vision
31. Fallen Star Series - Book #4 – The Promise
32. The Black Dagger Brotherhood – JR Ward - Book #1 Dark Lover
33. The Timberland Wolves – Tammy Blackwall - Book #1 - Destiny Binds
34 Ernest Cline - Ready Player One

Photography and Scrapbooking

Trying to juggle a few things at the same time as per normal - finishing off beginners kits for work with the last topic which is Paper Piecing. Not normally my thing, but I do like the results of some of my layouts. Here are a couple of examples:

  

I have also just finished a month long "sketches" class by Lisa Day at Big Picture Classes, and was very excited to be approached by Wendy Smedley of Big Picture Classes to feature on their blog in May. So I answered a few questions and provided some layouts. They should be posted on the blog sometime in May - I will have to post a link when this happens! 

Anyway, here are some examples from the Sketches class:









Still also doing the Twelve class - where you scrapbook a page a month on twelve different topics. Gets you really telling stories as opposed to creating "pretty" pages. Here are a couple of my favourites for April:






Still loving taking pictures on my iPhone using instagram, snapped these gems the other day at the bus stop with the girls (we were waiting for a bus to go and pick up my car which was being serviced!). Now that Facebook have purchased Instagram it will be interesting to see what happens to the product:





Cooking and Drinking!

Well why not?  Thought I would add this new category, since they are two activities that I love. I continue to do my five weekly meal plans and we are nearing the end of the current five week period - I get a bit excited by the prospect of making up another meal plan (I know - I am a tad crazy). As per usual - there are plenty of stocks in freezer so I will wing it a couple of weeks before doing my next five week shop.

Favourite meals from the last batch include:

Lamb and Apricot Stew - Good Food April Magazine
Crab and Corn Chowder - As above
BLT Pasta - Donna Hay - Simple Dinners



Red Curry Fish with Lime and Coconut Dressing - Donna Hay Magazine




I ended the Asian Style Salmon, Noodle Broth, Beansprout Salad from Jamie Olivers 30 Minute meals - however no-one else really likes salmon here, so I don't think they really appreciated it! Guess you can't please everyone every night.

Found a great little Passionfruit Yoghurt Fool in Donna Hay's Simple Dinners - great little dessert that doesn't require a lot of prep.

On the wine side I have enjoyed a couple of new wines this month - the favourite was the Andrew Peace Chardonnay - I normally drink Sauv Blancs, so this was a lovely surprise. I also have had a couple of Matua Sauv Blancs from NZ of course - and am always pleased to see it on Restaurant wine lists.

Well that's all I have for April.  We have Mum's 70th birthday on Sunday and a trip to Sydney planned for the following weekend which we are looking forward to - Dave is visiting his new favourite restaurant - Braza!


No comments: